The UHN Election Board is happy to announce the needed information for tribal citizens in District 2 to participate and engage in the Special Election to fill the vacancy for UHN Tribal Council District 2.
DEADLINE TO REGISTER TO VOTE:
In order to vote in the Monday, November 28, 2022 Special Election, all eligible tribal citizens must be registered to vote by 4pm Friday, October 28, 2022. Enrolled tribal citizens 18 and over are eligible to register to vote unless they are under an order of mental interdiction (unable to make life decisions for themselves) or are incarcerated for a felony. All applications to register to vote are processed at the United Houma Nation Administrative Office located at 400 Monarch Drive, Houma, LA 70364. The application can be downloaded from the UHN website (https://unitedhoumanation.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Voter-Registration-Application.pdf), but the original must be at the Houma Office by the deadline.
If registered voters eligible to vote in District 2 are not going to be available to vote on Election Day or anyone who would prefer to vote absentee must do so starting Monday, October 24, 2022 through Monday, November 21, 2022. Absentee voting can take place one of two ways:
- Eligible voters appear in person at the UHN Administrative Offices Monday through Friday between 8:30am and 4:00pm with a photo ID and cast their vote through the absentee process.
- Eligible voters unable to appear at the office, must submit a written request with an original signature to the UHN Administrative Office, located at 400 Monarch Drive, Houma, LA 70364, to request a mailed absentee ballot. All cast ballots must be received at the UHN Houma Office by 4pm, Monday, November 21, 2022 to be counted.
VOTING ON ELECTION DAY:
The polling location for the Monday, November 28, 2022 for District 2 is:
Montegut Fire Department
Montegut, LA 70377
The poll will be open from 6:00am to 8:00pm the day of the election. Please park either on the grass or across the street as this is work day for the fire station. The entrance and exit of the fire trucks must remain clear.
Here is what ELIGIBLE UHN voters need to know in preparation of voting on Monday, November 28, 2022:
- ONLY VOTERS LIVING OR DOMICILED (HOME COMMUNITY) IN DISTRICT 2 ARE ELIGIBLE TO VOTE IN THIS SPECIAL ELECTION. Letters are going out to all eligible registered voters in advance of the election to notify them of their ability to vote in this election. If eligible registered tribal voters do not receive this letter by Friday, November 18, please contact the UHN Administrative Office at (985)223-3093 to confirm voting status.
- All tribal voters will need to present a photo ID to vote. Acceptable photo ID can be a tribal voter ID, Louisiana state driver’s license or state ID.
- Anyone who voted by absentee ballot cannot vote at the poll UNLESS he/she relinquishes the assigned absentee ballot at the poll on Election Day.
- No one who registered to vote after the October 28, 2022 deadline will be able to vote in this election. However, such individuals will be eligible for future elections immediately following.
Below is a sample ballot for everyone’s review. Please DO NOT return the sample ballot. Mail in sample ballots will not count.
Special Election – District 2
Place a check mark (P) next to the candidate you wish to select as Tribal Council Representative for District 2.
_____ Joan Dardar Brunet
_____ Clarice Molinere Friloux
_____ Elsie Domangue LeBlanc