The United Houma Nation Election Board has announced the election of all Tribal Council seats for 2020. Any tribal citizen interested in seeking one of these positions must qualify by Monday, April 6, 2020. Below is the link to review the full announcement with the qualifications required to be certified as eligible to seek office of UHN Tribal Council. Also below is the link to download the qualifying packet for submission by the deadline.
Here is the timeline of activities that will ultimately lead to the swearing in of a newly seated Tribal Council in June 2020.
- April 6, 2020 – Eligible candidates must submit complete qualifying documents to the Golden Meadow Office. Originals only will be accepted. Fax and email will not.
- By April 10, 2020 – The Election Board will review applications and certify a slate of candidates by district.
- April 30, 2020 – The Election Board will have secured polling sites in all districts where 2 or more candidates have qualified and notices will be mailed to all registered voters in such districts with instructions to vote.
- May 1 – June 5, 2020 – Absentee ballots will be available for eligible voters who expect to not be present on election day. Absentee ballots can be obtained in person from the Golden Meadow office or by letter (originals only).
- May 7,2020 – Any eligible tribal citizen who wishes to vote in this election MUST be registered to vote by this date.
- June 5, 2020 – All absentee ballots are required to be in the Golden Meadow Office by close of business day to be counted.
- June 6, 2020 – Polling places will be open for active elections from 6am to 8pm CST. At the close of all polls, all ballots will be counted on-site and then turned into the Election Board at the Golden Meadow Office for verification. The Election Board will certify all results and notify the candidates once all results have been verified and finalized.
- June 20, 2020 – Swearing In of the duly elected Tribal Council will take place.